Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2) by Pittacus Lore ☆☆☆☆☆

This book went in so many directions I would have never expected, especially as the sequel to I Am Number Four. The most interesting was that this book was told in alternating narratives between John and number Seven, Marina. While alternating narratives isn't necessarily strange (as many books use it now), what was strange was how they used it. As you started a chapter, there was never any indication who was narrating. There was no name at the top of the chapter as a clue. You have to figure it out as you read based on contextual clues. And swapping between a male perspective and a female perspective is even more jarring. At first it happens two chapters at a time, and once you get used to the pattern it changes. A couple chapters even have both narratives speaking in tandem. It was incredibly interesting.

I loved how far John and Sam's friendship grew, and how their friendship with Six further developed. I loved getting to know Marina and how she relates to her Cepan and the people around them. I even love that I got to hate two characters that I should have loved. One I loved and then hated, the other I hated and grew to admire in the end. This book was incredibly complex in how everything was pulled together, and the battles with the Mogs were extremely detailed. There was even small things that became so interesting. Parts of Six's backstory were pulled into the narrative, but I still found it beneficial that I read the Lost Files: Six's Legacy before picking up the sequel. I can't wait to read the next novella installment, Lost Files: Nine's Legacy, (hurry up library and get this ebook), and the next full book, The Rise of Nine, in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment