Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ☆☆☆☆☆

Wow! I don't know what else to say except that I regret not picking this book up sooner. I'm thankful I had so many people pushing me to put it at top of my to-be-read stack and reading it as soon as possible. I was blown away.

I've been really caught up in dystopian societies and this one comes from a whole new level. After the first two chapters I was rightfully nauseated. It reminded me of "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson that I read in high school and has stuck with me every day since because of its brutality and horror.

But it didn't stay that way... I easily got caught up in the little details with Katniss and would often let the "reality" of the situations just as she would. I got so caught up in the survival mode that I literally felt like I was in the book. When I finished the second part, my heart was beating so loud in my ears that I couldn't sleep. I ended up turning my lamp back on and reading until I felt myself calm.

It isn't often that I lose myself so entirely in a book and it is the most amazing experience of reading a book. I'm thinking of buying the next book at putting it at the top of my TBR stack above books that have been waiting a very long time, just so I can get a taste of the world and the story again. This book is definitely a must read for anyone that hasn't already picked it up. I can't wait to see how the movie transforms everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment