Friday, July 8, 2011

Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry 2) by Simone Elkeles

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles ☆☆☆☆☆

I had to order this online because I was on a waitlist at the library and didn't want to wait! Luckily Amazon even had it on sale! Unluckily I waited longer to read it then I would have if I had just waited for the library to send it. Irony at its best.

I loved this book! Getting to that in a second, I'd like to add what I didn't like: the epilogue. This is the same problem I had with the first book. To me both felt like they had the perfect ending (which I don't say often) to where I wasn't anxious for anymore information and just felt satisfied with what I was given. And then you come to the unnecessary epilogue that felt like reading bad fan fiction. In Perfect Chemistry the epilogue was set 23 in the future and in this book it was 26 years. It's not necessarily tying up loose ends (especially since there aren't any); it's just, in both cases, showing history repeating itself in a humorous way. Without the epilogues they would be perfect books.

However, I do still love the book in so many ways. This book mimicked my own high school life (without the gangs): an arrogant Mexican boy that continues to get in trouble and a down-to-earth gringa that doesn't care about her appearance and is willing to give herself fully if it means getting love. Honestly, I wish I would have had this book to read a decade ago and maybe the choices I made would be very very different. That being said, if I identified with it that much then I'm sure there are many other girls (or guys) that would as well, and so I am very glad that this book is out there for them to read and look at the choices they're making in an entirely different way.

This book pulled me in so easily and so tightly that I didn't want to give it up. I was literally dreaming the book while I slept, just waiting until I could pick it up again. And I anxiously handed it off to my friend so that she could love it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment