Monday, August 27, 2012

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare ☆☆☆☆☆

This is the first steampunk novel I have ever read and I have to say I love it! London is enough to love on its own (it's one of my destination dreams), but that time period is romantic and classic. Sometimes I wish I lived in that era, but I don't think I could live without electricity and indoor plumbing.

What I loved most about Tessa is her passion for reading. It definitely isn't a trait that many women of the time have, or admit to, when they feel their purpose is to serve their future husbands and children. She learns a lot about herself in this book and what it means to be who she is, inside and out. The contradictions she finds in herself and carefully balanced between the stark contrasts of the other characters of the novel. It's a lost of "lost boys" set up, with all the orphan children, and they look to each other for support, whether consciously or unconsciously. And the differences between them, and the dark secrets them keep, are what set them apart from each other while also tying them all together.

I am extremely excited that I decided to read this series! I wasn't sure I was going to. But after finishing City of Glass, I noted that her website said she started Clockwork Angel before moving onto the originally unplanned fourth book in the Mortal Instruments series. On her website, she encouraged new readers to read in the order of publication, which is what I decided to do. So I'll be flipping back to Mortal Instruments next before I approach Clockwork Prince. Can't wait for more steampunk and Shadowhunters!

No comments:

Post a Comment