Saturday, August 4, 2012

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare ☆☆☆☆☆

This book was aggravating...in a good way!

And gratefully, it was a lot better than the first one! There were several things corrected with this book that changed my mind about the series.

First of all, it finally veered away from the other notable storylines it was borrowing from (i.e. Harry Potter, Star Wars, and others). Valentine began to differ a lot from Voldemort/Vader. The storyline of this book became more original and much more interesting. I didn't want to put it down!

One of my other big complaints about the first one was the switching of point-of-view throughout the book. It was aggravating for me to switch back and forth, especially when most books stick with one character throughout, or they alternate chapters with characters rather than small sections. This time the POV switching didn't bother me. I want to say it's because I got used to it since the first one, but honestly, I think it was just a lot more fluid. The purpose was clear for the POV switches this time and it moved more like a movie than a book.

Speaking of which...can't wait for the movie! I love the casting for Hodge and Brother Jeremiah, and I'm sure I'll come to enjoy the rest with time. I'm so engrossed in this series now I think I'll move on to the next book now instead of what I intended to read.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way between the first and the second book. For me the second was much more cohesive and exciting. A friend of mine compared it to Harry Potter and Buffy, which made me go into the first one with, perhaps, too high of expectations. City of Ashes delivers, I think, where the first one didn't.

    ReplyDelete