Saturday, August 18, 2012

Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Last Breath (Morganville #11) by Rachel Caine ☆☆☆☆☆

My god..... After my less than perfect review of the last book I had no idea at all what to expect with this one, and it knocked me out cold and twisted me in knots simultaneously.

The main thing I didn't like about the last book was how she suddenly broke her structure of 3rd person perspective from Claire's point-of-view and jumped into 1st person Shane often. This book began with an Author's Note that she was going to do something very similar with this one. While I still didn't really like it, it had nothing to do with the character switch this time. The character switch was completely necessary for this particular story line, and structured well. What bothered me was that Claire was still 3rd person while everyone else was 1st person. She might as well have just started writing Claire in 1st person too to keep it symmetrical throughout.

This story confused me and there were times I wondered if I was ever going to pull myself out of the fog and figure out what was really going on. And then the most unexpected thing happened. The book ripped me apart and I was in tears. I never expected this book to make me cry and completely blamed my friend who read it before me for letting me walk into it without warning (which is when she reminded me that I've done that to her twice in the last month and that we enjoy the heartbreak in the end). I battled it out to the end as Morganville fell apart again, and you know what...my friend was entirely right, it was all worth it in the end. And the ending was a total open cliff hanger (the likes of the first few books of the series) and also shocked me to my core. How will I ever hold myself back from diving into the next book right away?! At least I know it's there on my shelf ready for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment