Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson ☆☆☆☆

So this book was another I read as a class assignment. Obviously, by the title, it takes place in 1793. It revolves around the Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia during 1793. I've never really come across historical fiction until these last two books for class and I have to say that both impressed me. I hadn't read anything about the 18th century except when I was in middle school and it was nice reading about Ben Franklin and George Washington like it just happened yesterday.

This book was exceptional at placing me in the time period letting me truly experience the fear and anxiety that overwhelmed all in the area. The characters were well-written, and the main character, Matilda, had one of the most amazing character developments I have ever seen. It was shown through metaphorical images as well as literal ones. Bravo Anderson!

As historical fiction this book does a much better job of teaching the subject than any text book ever could. It kept me intrigued and I couldn't put the book down (besides the fact that I didn't have time to put it down). I'd love to see what this author can do with modern characters. I think it would be more than worthwhile. The only thing that was awkward was the language barrier. I didn't figure out a "necessary" was an outhouse until I was most of the way through the book, which of course makes it historically accurate, but it was just a sticking point for me. Good review none the less :)

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to buy this one, thanks for reminding me to put it on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was surprisingly good! I never thought I could recommend a book I was forced to read in school and I just did two :) Children's Lit is proving to be a much more interesting class than I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete