Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme posted by The Broke and the Bookish. A new top ten question is posed every week. I encourage you to start your own Top Ten Tuesday list. This week:

Top Ten Dynamic Duos (those bffs, partners in crimes, or powerful couples that you just can't forget about)

1. Rose and Dimitri -- The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
They remind me it's possible to find that true love, the perfect match that knows you instead and out, that anticipates your moves and words, that compliments you. I need my own Dimitri :)

2. Harry and Ron -- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Sure, Hermione had the brains that kept them in check, but it was the dedication in their friendship that really made it work, with or without her. Who else would suffer through the Yule Ball with you while the girls you really want are with others guys? Your best friend that's who.

3. Ennis and Jack -- Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
I think this duo speaks for itself. I still cry every single time I read the story and feel a deeper layer of their love each reading. I love these boys and I don't need to hide it with a fishing trip.

4. Stickboy and Matchgirl -- The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim Burton
Yes, that's right, Tim Burton. I discovered this book a decade ago and I have never been able to put it down. It is morbid and beautiful, and with its simple rhymes I read it to my son as nursery rhymes from the day he was born. Stickboy and Matchgirl were my favorite characters and their story is hot and destructive, like most seem to be.

5. Holden and Phoebe -- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
This book will forever be one of my favorites just as Holden will forever tug at my heart. Phoebe looks up to her big brother as a savior and in turn it is Phoebe that saves Holden. Love in its purest form.

6. Claire and Shane -- Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
His protection of her is fierce and her strength in his stupidity is hilarious. Their romance is so wrong and so right at the same time. It gives me the warm, gooey chills and keeps me rooting for them.

7. Percy and Annabeth -- The Last Olympians series by Rick Riordan
While the love-hate relationship thing might be cliche, it works for them and they compliment each other in so many ways. Just as Athena and Poseidon worked together to create horses, these two can achieve great things when they stop bickering and put their heads together.

8. Clare and Henry -- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I usually say the book is better than the movie, but this was only one exception as the movie was immensely better. It's hard to get emotion across during time travel without movie cut scenes and honestly the book felt like it was droning on at some points. HOWEVER, their love is a love for the ages and after all they went through together their love was strong, so strong she waited for him all her life to meet her in the future.

9. Ever and Damen -- The Immortal series by Alyson Noel
It's easier to name the challenges this couple doesn't face. Their lives seem to be eternally against them and nothing will stop to get out of the way. But despite the challenges, past lives continue to meet and connect hoping that this time will finally work out right...or will it?

10. Victor and his monster -- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Each is the driving force of the other. The monster is bent on destroying Victor's life for denying him love and Victor is bent on destroying the monster he created. Their lives are so intertwined that they almost can't live without the other. It's Victor's dedication to his mission that takes his life metaphorically and literally.


This was a good week. So many duos so little time. I can't wait to get to my next stack of books to discover more dynamic duos that'll warm me to the core! :)

8 comments:

  1. Victor and his monster would have been a nice choice for my list, too. I decided to focus this time on oppositional duos in children's books. Here's my post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-dynamic-duos.html

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great minds think alike! I chose Harry & Ron (+ Hermione), Percy & Annabeth and Claire & Shane! I forgot about Holden & Phoebe.. that is one of my favorite books of all time too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire & Shane, they are an odd couple huh, but they are very sweet together. Gotta love them! Great picks!!

    New follower :)
    Jess @ Gone with the Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. great choices, pls stop by and see mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! I almost put Phoebe and Holden on mine but it's been so long since I read the book I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly. About to read Time Traveler's Wife too and want to read Brokeback Mountain...both look like great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwhahahaha I've got Victor and the creature as well. I thought I was the only one to conceive of them as a true duo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holden and Phoebe! What a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sara and Jess, as evidenced by my blog I have only read the first Morganville book, but that kiss, oh god that kiss, I was floored and became an intense follower. Haha :)

    @Deb and Birdie, Victor and the monster are not just a dynamic duo, they are an EPIC duo :) It's a shame no one knows the monster doesn't have a name and it's actually Victor that is Frankenstein. I must thank one of my first Lit classes for forcing me to read a great book.

    @Sarah, booknympho, and Katie, I have to say that Catcher in the Rye was life changing for me. It is yet another book I am glad I was forced to read in college Lit classes. Holden was remarkable and his love for Phoebe was so sweet. The movie Remember Me had a similar pairing and if you haven't seen it already I highly recommend it, but with a big box of tissues. As my favorite teacher likes to say, the ending was "surprising, yet inevitable."

    @booknympho, Brokeback Mountain was amazing. I cried so hard while reading it, in just a few short pages. The movie didn't do it enough justice. As for Time Traveler's Wife, the book kinda dragged on and took awhile, but it does have some great scenes not included in the movie so it's worth a read if you don't mind the changing perspective and unnecessary scenes.

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete