Monday, March 14, 2011

Percy Jackson (books 1 & 2) by Rick Riordan

[and]
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson 2)
by Rick Riordan ☆☆☆☆

I read both of these books about a year ago or so, before I had this lovely blog. So why now? Because I'm taking Children's Literature and we had to read book 1 for an assignment on fantasy fiction. Re-reading it reminded me how much I loved these books and I hate that I never got the chance to read the rest.

First off let me express just how much I LOVE Greek mythology. When I was a kid I absolutely
hated reading, like you wouldn't believe. However, there was one book I couldn't live without and checked it out from my elementary school library religiously: D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. I happily now own it. So when I pick up a young adult book using all aspects of Greek mythology there is no doubt how much I would love it. The best part of this book is that I learned a few new Greek myths that I wasn't aware of. Somehow I never learned about Charon or Chiron.

The Lightning Thief did a great job at introducing the story of Percy Jackson. It had the right mixture of drama and humor that can keep any kid interested and eager to keep reading. I loved how Ares was portrayed with the biker boots and red sunglasses. I loved the idea of Westernization and the Western world of power moving. I loved Percy's boldness with shipping Medusa's head to Olympus and that his mom used it to get rid of her abusive husband. And most especially I loved all of the chapter titles. I think they were my absolute favorite actually. It was a great one-liner to start each new challenge that Percy and the gang faced.

The Sea of Monsters was equally as humorous. A satyr in a wedding dress, how can you get more original than that? This book had more of a presence of Poseidon as well as Luke's father, Hermes, who was intent on saving him if it was possible. Way to go loving dad's, even if they did have to abandon their children. And while The Lightning Thief touched on the ideas of the abandoning father, the threatening step-parent, and spousal abuse, The Sea of Monsters went even further. It introduced the half-sibling that is unexpected, confusing, and potentially embarrassing. These books touch on a lot of subjects that most authors are afraid to touch on, but subjects that many children today face. These children want to know that not only are they not alone in what they're experiencing and what they're feeling, but also that there is always hope. That's what makes good Children's Literature of course, the idea of hope surpassing all challenges. And if anyone remembers their Greek mythology then they'll remember that this is what the story of Pandora's box was all about, that even after all the bad things came out of the box there was hope at the bottom.

I can't wait til I can get to the other books in the series so that I can see what other touchy topics that Rick Riordan can introduce next. And just how much more I can learn about Greek mythology that apparently missed my childhood or was forgotten in growing up. I also can't wait until my son is old enough to read these books and enjoy them the way I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment