Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme posted by The Broke and the Bookish. A new top ten question is posed every week. I encourage you to start your own Top Ten Tuesday list. This week:

Top Ten Authors That Deserve More Recognition
This is an easy one for me. You want to know my answer?

All of them!

As an aspiring author myself I don't feel like enough writers get the recognition they deserve. A big part of that is also a issue of genres.

Many of us YA bloggers know the effects of being "caught" reading YA in a group of people who deem us as incompetent or childish because of our book choice. Of course with an experience like that there is no doubt to why YA authors don't get the credit they deserve.

I've done a research paper on feminist criticism in writing and found that female authors still don't receive the respect they deserve because the world is still vastly male dominated whether we want to admit it or not. And yet, majority of readers seem to be females. So there is the under-appreciated chick-lit genre for you.

In general I think that genres and the authors within them need more respect, their appeal needs to be expressed, and what better way than book review blogs. It is the bloggers that gain more recognition for deserving authors and I hope that one day when I finally publish that all the bloggers out there will spread my name on their top ten lists.

Happy Tuesday everyone! I went more psychological than straight list this week, but it was something I was more passionate about ;)

11 comments:

  1. Very nice post! I don't think going psychological on this was a problem at all :) Great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It's great that you did this instead of a list *wishes she thought of it*
    Luckily, I've never experienced anyone calling me childish (or the sort) for reading YA. However, I know it happens a lot, and it's a shame. Many of the best books I've read have been YA, and a lot of YA books that I've read have a better and more complicated plot/characters than the adult books.

    Amber
    My List

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed a few people have decided to generalise the question rather than lists which is interesting to read. I read YA too :)
    wwww.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com
    Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally appreciate your thoughts and am a new follower.

    Here's mine:

    http://bookbelle0819.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-authors-that-deserved-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice surprising answer. Thank you.

    And it's lovely to meet you. Here's my list of Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition. I hope you will stop in and talk books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that the majority of YA books are written by women, I'd like to see more written by men!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I read a lot of YA and I've never had anyone look down on me for it, but I'm sure it happens. There are so many amazing female authors out there that it is sad they don't get the appreciation they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your take on this week's list. I also agree that YA and Chick-Lit don't get the recognition they deserve. I've read literary studies that agree with you, though women read more, it is still men that are published most often. I'm an aspiring writer myself, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I enjoyed your thoughts here especially on the YA writers. Thanks for sharing this. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I agree, anyone who writes a good book should get tons of recognition because it's not easy to do. And it's such a shame that people judge other people based on what they read, whether it's YA or "chick lit" or even mysteries. I think a lot of it also depends on how much money publisher's want to spend on promoting a book. Now advertising plays such a huge role, the same with great films that most people never hear about because they aren't advertised. Good thing there are book bloggers out there with varied tastes to recommend great authors to other readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent point. Even in YA, I think the male authors are more respected. Look at how people drool over John Green, Pete Hautman, David Levithan, Marcus Zusak, and more. They deserve the accolades, but many female authors do as well.
    New follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete