Thursday, June 14, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth ☆☆☆☆☆

I literally just finished the last line and I am stunned into silence. I remember back to reading the first book last year when I said I would have loved to give it an 11 out of 5 stars. You can double that statement with this book. A lot of books in the middle of a series become nothing more than filler to get the arc to the end of the series. This book goes well beyond that. It created so much more than the first book was able to and went in more directions than I literally could have dreamed. I have fallen even more in love with this series, and can now appreciate fully my decision to re-read the first book in conjunction with this one.

It's really hard to express the emotions I've had throughout this book at this point. I'm not exclamation point happy because I'm honestly just stunned. The first several chapters were to die for, I was laughing so hard that I was covering my mouth to keep my neighbors from hearing my through our thin walls at 4am. I love the Dauntless snark and it reminds me so much of the snarky conversations I've had with friends and lovers in the past. It felt like home. :)

And as funny as those first several chapters were...things eventually got very real, and real means painful, confusing, and quiet. I was fully engrossed in the story like any other character. I was screaming at the characters. I hated them, hated how they were acting. And it had nothing at all to do with how they were written, they just stood out from the story for me that much that I hated them as if they were real. Bookish people, you get it and I know you do!

I also reminded myself how much I hate books where a war of some kind is taking place. I came to this conclusion during the Harry Potter series. (Sirius!!!) The first book of this series easily slipped from memory as it was just one book, but then came the Hunger Games series for me (Rue!). And now this series has officially become a series for me...and hell, I really hate reading war books. Loss cannot be avoided, but I care about the characters so much that I hate to see any go, even small ones that barely stand out. As much as I hate reading it and want to blame her, I know as a writer myself that she probably hurts more than any of her readers do over the losses. She lives with those characters every waking day as she writes.

All said and done, this series is amazing. I will recommend it over and over until the day I die. I have already begged and prodded people to read it and to join in with me. And to break the seriousness of my shock from this book turned into review with a little humor...and to also express how awesome I am at getting others to read the series, I present the most awesome discussion I have had while reading this series with my best friend (her first time with the entire series).

(During the last half of Insurgent)

E: Do you ever wonder if the Dauntless read stories about us haha, I mean not that half of them could read, but ya know
A: Hahahaha I can honestly say I don't think so. If they have, they were probably so bored they stopped haha
E: Hahaha point made!

No comments:

Post a Comment