Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1) by E. L. James ☆☆☆☆

This isn't necessarily a young adult book, but then there are a few times I read outside YA. I know that everyone picked up this book for the erotica, and I had to pick up the book to see what all the fuss was about. Overall the writing wasn't that great and the plot seemed simple, contrived, and cliche. The erotica was definitely worth the read, but that isn't why I ended up loving the book in the end.

The characters grew on me. And with everything they did and went through, it reminded me of all the good and bad things in my past relationships, things I hadn't thought about in a long time. Surprisingly, it helped me cope with a lot of the bad and think about it in a new way. And the good....it reminded me that I actually don't want to be single forever and I need to start opening myself up to people again.

So despite the bad writing that greeted me, and the erotica that pulled everyone else in, this book did more for me than any of that. And on top of all of that, it ended with a cliff-hanger so big I immediately started the next book even though it was already sunrise because I had stayed up all night finishing the first. That's always a sign of a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment