Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bite Club by Rachel Caine

Bite Club (Morganville #10) by Rachel Caine ☆☆☆☆

Oh my, this book has changed all my perceptions of the Morganville series. I don't believe I have ever given any of the books less than five stars, and yet, this book almost got three and a half--not even the full four stars.  And in nearly all of the reviews I have written, I've mentioned that I often don't even care about the story line because I love the characters so much. That changed here.

First thing, there was a major change in structure that entirely threw me off. The books have always been from one point-of-view and in third person. If you wanted to be in the characters themselves and in first person, you read the short stories she posts on her website. In this book, though, all that changed. The structure was mostly the same, but in almost every chapter there was an "interruption" of Shane's point-of-view in first person perspective. The change was unsettling. Yes, I did like seeing inside his head, but after nine previous books with a set structure, I didn't find myself enjoying the interruptions so much.

Second thing, I actually hated all the characters in this book. I hated each and every one of them and each for their own reason. That's why it would have gotten three and a half stars, because I still liked the world, story, and all, but the characters all pissed me off. That being said, they redeemed themselves in the end....somewhat. I still have some reservations. The end of the book is left at a point where a lot of talking needs to be done and forgiveness be made, and I couldn't yet find my forgiveness for all of them either. I couldn't believe how angry I got. (I do love Myrnin though, he's insane and had some quotable things I was gushing to my friend about as she read it before me.)

I'm definitely still hooked on the story and characters, but I'm going to consider each book more closely now. I expected to fall head over heels for this book like the others and it just didn't happen. And I even realized that suddenly the story behind the characters had become important to me because I thought things got tied up too easily in some situations. I'm looking forward to the next book, but not necessarily as anxiously as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment