Friday, July 5, 2013

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R. R. Martin ☆☆☆☆☆

With heavy encouragement from several of my friends and the Kindle version finally available from my library I gave it a shot. I never anticipated that it would take me nearly two months to finish this book. It has put me extremely behind on my reading list for the summer vacation (including working on my MFA thesis). But in the end, if I could give it more than five stars I would. Honestly, if I gave it five stars for each of the character point-of-views it would be well over what I wish I could give it.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy. The extent of my experience in it is problem reading Pierce's Alana books that my middle school teacher encouraged on our class. I have a hard time being set in a new place with things that don't exist. Don't get me wrong, I love dragons and the supernatural. But seasons that last for years? That was a hard suspension of disbelief for me. When I read to be set in a new place it's either a dystopian apocalypse of Earth, or a space ship because Earth was described. However, I really loved this exploration into fantasy. I have always liked the Middle Ages and those hints of it were appreciated (as well as he dragons). I was also watching the Merlin series shortly before reading this book so that put me in the mindset as well (since I always loved the Arthur tales).

I started watching the HBO series at the same time. When I was about half way through the book I started the first four episodes. I really loved them as well. I fell deeply in love with Jon Snow (which makes it difficult to keep reading when he's only 14 in the book haha). I also loved the see a lot of the things that happen behind the scenes in the book and none of the point-of-views that we see show, such as the talks between Petyr and Varys. My favorite scenes of course involved Renly, who I initially thought was not portrayed handsome enough from the book, but who had some of the most intriguing back stories of all.

I'm a Stark. (One of the friends that got me to read the book claims herself a Lannister, but bah!)
And I definitely want my own direwolf pup! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment