Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem (Delirium #3) by Lauren Oliver ☆☆☆☆

Anger. Anger. Anger. That the first thing that comes to mind with this final installment of the Delirium series.

First of all, I was obviously way behind on finishing this series so I had been struggling against all costs to avoid spoilers where I could. I did catch one though that said no reader could possibly like the ending. I had that in mind, but a friend of mine read it before me and told me it wasn't as bad as others said. I had the consolation that Lauren Oliver said the ending was meant to allow a choice, not just for the characters, but for the reader. But ahhhh, my friend lied. The ending was way worse than I expected and she admitted she lied so she wouldn't give it away.

I'm not going to give spoilers either and say exactly what happened in the ending. However, I will say why I'm angry overall. I'm okay with open endings in books. Sometimes it's necessary so that we know the characters are moving on from the book and because sometimes we need to know that not all stories end with big bow of strings wrapped up and happy endings for all. I'm not naive to happy endings, I knew a war was going to break out. I made peace with that. What I didn't make peace with was a WIDE OPEN ending! There seemed to be no closer to the novel (or series) at all. I can't handle that, as a reader or as a writer. It killed me.

And even though I'm starting to move past my anger, it's still there gnawing at me in the back of my mind. There's nothing to do but carry on to the next book, the next series, after all. The ending is also the only reason I dropped a star on this book, because other than the ending I loved every minute of the book. And really, what can I expect when the one thing I hated about her other book, Before I Fall, was the way that one ended as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment