Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires 2) AND Midnight Alley (Morganville Vampires 3) by Rachel Caine

The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine ☆☆☆☆☆

Love, love, love! All the drama that built up in the first book and ended with a major cliff hanger just keep right on and didn't let up even once. This series is definitely one I am very very glad to have picked up after meeting the author and don't ever want to put down.

One of the best parts of this book was the development of Shane's character. There were so many sides to him and so many layers that every time you saw him you felt like you were looking at someone entirely new. And so see just how much guilt and pain he was holding inside was heartbreaking.

And then you have Monica Morrell, who you think can never get any worse and more destructive than she already is....and then proves you wrong by something equally or even more horrendous. This series makes you lose your faith in humanity just as much as it portrays vampires as the mob-like bad guys. And if vampires have to be portrayed as bad guys in this day and age where they are usually the unsung heroes, then it's only fair that humans are just as cruel, if not more so.

In the first book, I marked one page for re-reading over and over. In this one I marked at least three different sections in this one.


Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine ☆☆☆☆☆

So even though the second book didn't end in a cliff-hanger, I couldn't resist picking up the third right away and it didn't disappoint.

In terms of marked pages...I can't even count how many pages I marked in this one. Between romance and just overall humor...wow.

And humor, my god, Rachel Caine, I do love you. I was literally laughing out loud at so many points during this book. And I don't have that much of a reaction often. I'll smile or sometimes laugh a little, but with this book I'm talking about gut-wrenching laughter. There were some moments that were so funny that I wanted to text it to my friend, but then realized I'd have to put it in context and it would take too long. Now, of course, I'm telling her to hurry up and read the books and catch up with me. Oh, how I hate reading alone.

There was so much going on in this book. There was pain and anguish, drama that can't be expressed. So much was on the surface and so much more was just below and barely accessible. The plot unraveled slowly, revealing how much she's had planned from book one and how much more she still has planned for the readers. And, like the first, it ended with a cliff-hanger, but I'm going to try my hardest to hold out on the fourth. (I have two enormous stacks of books to read plus I can't seem to leave the library so make that almost three stacks to catch up on.) Can't wait til I can get to it though, this series is to die for (pun probably intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment