Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

I haven't been around in a while because of school, but it's about time I get back in the swing of things. What better way that a Top Ten Tuesday?


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme posted by The Broke and the Bookish. A new top ten question is posed every week. I encourage you to start your own Top Ten Tuesday list. This week:

Top Ten Settings In Books
(All those real or imagined locations/worlds you loved reading about OR settings you think would be perfect in a book)

1. Boarding schools!
Who doesn't love a good book with a boarding school? Harry Potter, Vampire Academy, The Catcher and the Rye.... Young adults without parental supervision makes for the best stories.

2. The South.
I love to see how authors portray the Southern accents in their writing. Now, I'm from the South, but where I'm at, there isn't a Southern accent like the rest of Texas or rest of the South East USA. But I love a good accent (read: British, Italian, Australian, you get the picture), and something about Southern accents makes my heart swell. Maybe it's Southern hospitality and the idea of Rhett Butler. Yeah, I'll go with that.

3. West Coast.
I've only been on the West Coast once, but I'll never forget it. It's not like I can see the beach on a regular basis and I love books where I get to imagine being on the beach all the time, lying in the sand, feeling the waves wash over me. Especially when reading a summer book in the winter.

4. The forest.
Even if a book isn't a magical fantasy novel, I still imagine fairies and elves and such. A forest is an enchanting place full of magic and wonder all on its own. Even if it's filled with big bad wolves and murderous rampages, there is still something engaging in it.

5. Local.
I like books that are set where I'm at locally. Right on the Mexican-American border in the middle of the desert. Who doesn't like reading about home when you're from a small seemingly unrecognized place and you're reading a book that has national or even international appeal? I love when I hear El Paso, Texas in comedy sketches, Food Network shows, etc. and it stands even more so in books that last well beyond media.

Ok, since I was more general with my answers I couldn't make ten this time around, but still good to be back in the swing of things. And hooray for summer, I'm blowing through books like there is no tomorrow and the librarians are wondering why I'm there almost every day, haha :)

8 comments:

  1. Love the settings, Id love a Boarding School :)Old Follower http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com/2011/06/top-ten-book-place-settings.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the forest. That setting came up a couple of times in my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the south on my list too! And boarding schools. I'm such a sucker for boarding schools!

    Here's my list this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love your general places approach to the topic! The south is clearly very attractive because rhett butler lives there, and that accent is just amazing- it's probably why I love true blood so much (nothing to do with Eric at all! Hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy books set in the South, although they are very often dark and/or harsh (To Kill a Mockingbird, anyone?). I just read The Help recently, and that's set in Jackson. As for books set in Texas...none are popping immediately into my head, although the film "Giant" is certainly a good movie. :)

    I grew up on the Texas-Mexico border as well. Rio Grande Valley, holla! Hope you're staying cool. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are definitely some good Border books out there, like Cormac McCarthy. I actually am with you on all your selections, but the only one to make my list was boarding schools.

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love boarding school stories growing up. I would beg my mum to send me to one (she may have been tempted after all the constant nagging but I'm now quite glad that didn't happen).

    ReplyDelete