Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Monster High by Lisi Harrison

Monster High by Lisi Harrison ☆☆☆☆

I have to say that I am in love with the dolls and jumped at the chance to read this when it was recommended to me. Draculaura is a vampire who loves pink and whose favorite subject is creative writing. I am a creative writing major who loves pink and vampires. Match made in heaven!

Despite that, this book isn't one of my favorites. It was hard to get into for me and I was just forcing myself through it. When Harrison finally started introducing who the characters really were then it got more interesting, finally ending with a cliff hanger (I have the sequel in my stack already).

This book uses the alternating points of view of a human named Melody and a newly created monster named Frankie Stein, who is of course, the grand-daughter of the Frankenstein monster. I seem to be reading a lot of alternating points of view books lately and I find that interesting, especially because it isn't something I would particularly choose, yet it seems to be working for the most part in the books that I have been reading. And no, I'm not choosing this style purposely. :)

Monster High has a great subject matter. It isn't just about blending classic monsters and horror tales with modern teen life. It's about acceptance, accepting who you are inside, how you look, the whole package. And in Frankie's case it's also about learning that sometimes hiding for protection is part of that acceptance. For an issue that teens face every day in accepting their own bodies, it's an excellent theme mixed with an interesting monster plot that's sure to amuse.

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one as I keep seeing it around but after reading your review I don't think it's something I'd enjoy. :/

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 17 year old reading buddy begged me to read it which is the only reason I did, but yeah it wasn't something I would necessarily read again. I don't regret reading it, but it was hard to get into because the human side of the story just seemed to be lacking.

    ReplyDelete