Monday, July 23, 2012

Almost by Anne Eliot

Almost by Anne Eliot ☆☆☆☆☆

 This book was recommended on my Kindle after I finished Easy by Tammara Webber because it deals with a similar subject matter: almost-rape. The summary immediately pulled me in, the kind of book I love, so I bought it without a second thought. And it was unexpectedly great. It was exactly the kind of book I love.

My love for the book didn't start out from the beginning though. I had a hard time understanding how Jess's almost-rape could have such a horrible PTSD impact. I know several people that have gone through such a situation and worse, without such a consequence. However, once I got towards the end of the book, everything started clicking and I realized it wasn't necessarily the almost-rape that was the culprit.

The cover is horrible, but the story far makes up for it. It also had an interesting structure. It was an alternating narrative, which I hadn't expected, but the set up wasn't always set either. While most of the book alternated between Jess and Gray every other chapter, there were a few instances in which Jess got chapters back to back.

Besides the fact that I loved this book and loved the characters, there were also a lot of other great aspects. Jess starts out with the mentality that "Boys in Books are Better" which is a mentality that my friend and I have. There were numerous places that I highlighted because I loved the way it was written or the way that one character thought. And I have to say the one thing that I am most proud of in the book was the section in the back listing statistics about rape and almost-rape, and resources for someone who is dealing with that situation themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment