Friday, July 13, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver ☆☆☆☆

I had high expectations for this book from the start, from the moment I read the synopsis. Love is a disease that needs to be cured. Yes! After horrible and severe broken relationships in my past, I could see exactly how this fear would develop. And I like the further description in text in that love is the cause of the heart giving out, from the bad (a literal broken heart) to even the good (the racing heart beat that accompanies butterflies in the stomach). Everything, all of it, causes stress on the heart that eventually causes it to give out. It makes perfect sense.

My issue was that I had a hard time initially getting into the story. I wasn't excited when I was reading it and didn't have a desire to keep reading like my life depended on it. Thus, it took several days to read it instead of my usual two days or less. The issue was world building. Although it is the present and can easily become a reality, there was just something about it that wasn't gripping me. Maybe it was that Lena was so stuck in her beliefs that I wasn't able to question the world with her as a narrator. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what it was. However, I emotionally connected in chapter five when Alex was introduced. And it wasn't because I was hoping for a love story (even though I do love love stories). It was that everything started changing and the descriptions became a little more natural. And I was a little more excited to read than in the first few chapters when I nearly put the book down.

Overall, I really liked the story, and even though I had entirely planned on reading something else after this, I'm thinking I might just move on to the sequel. It's already out and I'm already in this world, so why not. And besides...it ended in a cliff hanger, and I hate cliff hanger endings. They make me sad :( The only thing I'm worried about is that I know the next book ends in an even bigger cliff hanger and I don't know if I can handle waiting so long for the next book after reading that. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment