Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry #3) by Simone Elkeles ☆☆☆☆

Not my favorite book of the series, but still a good read. My favorite has to be the second book. I fell in love with Carlos and it was great seeing him in this book again. I especially like the guy, Giancarlo, that plays Carlos in the book trailers, but that's beside the point. Speaking of which though, my favorite part of this series is the book trailers for this book and the last. They fully encompass what happens in the book in just a few short scenes, that makes me want to read the book faster. And if it ever becomes a movie, I hope they keep the same guys playing the brothers.

Oh, the Fuentes brothers. How suave and sexy they are, all cocky and knowing they have it going on. I love the bad boys. But that's no surprise...

Things I like about this book:
- Luis doesn't end up with a white girl like Alex and Carlos. That was becoming a bit of a cliche match up with the last book.
- The brothers really spent time bonding. They casually avoided each other before, but in this book they came together in all the best ways, even when odds were against them.
- Spanish code-switching. The Spanish is well integrated into the story and it makes the story more real for me since there is a lot of code-switching where I live. Even though I had to look up translations for a lot of it....

Thing I didn't like about this book:
- That all the brothers end up with the happily ever afters in high school. Each one of them met his girl in senior year and couldn't live without her. Sure I could suspend my disbelief and go for it, with the exception that this book clearly mentions a statistic that only 5% of couples stay together after high school. All three of them in the 5%? I doubt it. Still love the love stories though.
- The epilogues. I've despised them in every book. It feels like a fan fiction attempt at wrapping the story up, not letting the story really speak for itself. The only thing I really benefited from this last epilogue is seeing that the brothers are still incredibly close even after twenty-six years.

I'm glad I finished the series out. I'm going to miss the Fuentes brothers. I'm not really going to miss their girlfriends. There were things about each of them that I just couldn't stand, but I loved the boys enormously and it was worth the read on each book for those boys alone. And worth it for the covers too, seeing as how the first cover is what drew me to the series :)

No comments:

Post a Comment