Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver ☆☆☆☆☆

This book ripped me to shreds. But of course, there is more to say than that.

First off, the structure was really odd and hard to get used to. The first book had set chapters, each with it's own epigraph letting you in on a closer view of the world and society. This book threw all of that out the window. There were no chapters. Only a back and for between "Now" and "Then" with every other section (rather than chapter). Some sections were incredibly long and some incredibly short. And what was hardest to get used to wasn't the switch of time at all. It was the fact that there were no chapters because there was no way in telling how far I was into the book without numbers. Maybe that's one reason I couldn't stop reading, I didn't want to lose my place so to speak.

I have to say this is the fastest I've ever read a book. Or at the very least the second fastest. I started it at 5am, went to sleep around 7am, woke around 3pm, and have been reading non-stop ever since. And here it is before midnight. I can just imagine what would have happened if I hadn't gone to sleep at all. Referencing the book ripping me to shreds... I wish I had had some warning because I practically cried myself to sleep. I was so upset that I physically couldn't handle the pressure built up in me. And that is another reason I couldn't put the book down once I picked it back up in the afternoon. It continued to rip me apart and there just wasn't a place I could stop. I didn't even take a break to eat.

I avoid books that have such an emotional impact on me. And after a recent book series sent me into a downward spiral of depression that I hadn't expected, I was honestly trying to avoid emotionally impacting books even more. But towards the end of the book, in one tiny little moment a calm settled over me. So startling that I cried out and gripped my Kindle so tight I was afraid I was going to crack it (yes, literally). And in this one instance, the cliff hanger ending, I could handle it. I'm still desperate for the next book and extremely looking forward to the story it'll contain, but I'm satisfied for the moment and can move on to my next book easily.

I still think I need the rest of the night to recover from it though. I think my soul broke more than my heart did. Oh, Lauren Oliver, this isn't the first time you hurt me so badly, and I doubt it'll be your last. Your writing is beautiful and melodic, and after every heart break I swore I wouldn't read you again, but now I can't help it. And yes, this is where Pandemonium picks up the fifth star that Delirium and Hana did not. Requiem is going to be the highlight of March for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment