Thursday, August 22, 2013

Secrets 4 by H.M. Ward

Secrets 4 (Secrets series) by H.M. Ward ☆☆☆☆

I am not liking the guy on the cover at all. Not only does he not fit my mental image of Cole, he just doesn't present the role of a wealthy businessman. He looks like a guy with a garage band and no real goals. But that's just me. We're also back to another short installment of 75 pages. If I was having to wait between installments for the next to be published, or was paying versus borrowing, I would be beyond upset. But, eh...

This segment was full of emotion, drama, and sexual tension. All a plus.

It's painful to be with Anna's emotions when Cole completely turns on her. She spent so much time with him and he still can't trust that she's not against him, not feeling the same weight of the things that are happening. Their both victims and he just makes it that much worse for her. Add that to the fact her stalker (who I'm still certain of) is getting bolder and really getting to her and I'm waiting for her to just snap. Though I'm still calling stupidity on the whole stalking thing, because with what happened before that, she was just asking for the next step in creepy-dom. She really should be more aware of the people around her.

I'm still loving Jesse and still feeling sorry for him at the same time. And though the date may not have ended well for him, I'm happy with the overall result of everything. As to be expected. The interactions with Cole at the bar great. And him shirtless is always a plus as well. But my favorite scene revolves around Emma in the beginning, when she's trying to knit and instead begins stabbing the yarn, saying "Die, beanie hat, die! I hate you!" That was a great scene. Add that to her "You two whack-jobs are perfect for each other" rant and I'm sold on her. Love her completely. Especially when she can complain about Cole in front of Cole.

While it's hot, steamy, snarky, and fun equally in this segment, it did lose a star. And that star was lost in language. The problem I have with erotica seems to always be the language used. A lot of it irks me and takes me out of the story because I'm mentally trying to correct it. There was also an unreasonable amount of childish begging and overuse of "please" in this that made me want to strangle Anna. But it still won me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment